Friday, November 16, 2012

Advice to an SRNA

Close to 30 months ago I found out I was pregnant. 
27 months ago I started school to become a nurse anesthetist. 
In that 3 month period of being pregnant and preparing to start school I scoured the internet for any kind of advice about going through anesthesia school pregnant/with a newborn and I could only find a couple of chats. I asked my school if there was anyone I could talk to that had gone through this before, but they had no names to give me (it's been done many times before, but they had no contact info). I talked to students in the class ahead of me and they encouraged me, but had no real advice for a new mother. 
SO, if there is any one out there in the same predicament and scouring the internet for advice on what you should do if you are going to have a baby in anesthesia school - here it is!

I can only speak for my program, so obviously it could be different elsewhere. I've already given this spiel to a few other people who have asked me and they appreciated the straight forward, no sugar coating truth.

1) It's doable. Not ideal, but doable. And it's worth it! My best advice and what I told every one who asked me if I was crazy for trying to juggle a new marriage, new baby, and anesthesia school is "I take it one day at a time". Of course, you need to plan ahead so you can study and what not, but if you look to far ahead it gets overwhelming. Just focus on getting through one test, one more doctors appointment, one more feeding, one more paper. It's much less daunting that way!

2) I would never have gotten through it without the help and support of my family and in-laws. I didn't want to have to put ButterBean in daycare when he was so little (I went back to class when he was a week old) and through the help of ButterBean's grandmas I was able to keep him out of daycare the entire time. 

3) You will be tired, so tired! If you didn't drink coffee already, you will. Oh yes will
If you want to be extra tired you can do what I did and work your regular ICU nursing job every weekend for the first 5 months of school while pregnant because you need your health insurance! I can look back now and say "What on earth was I thinking?" But, you gotta do what you gotta do!

4) You will have intense mommy guilt. Add in fun postpartum hormones and you have a recipe for an emotional merry-go-round! When you are studying, you feel guilty you aren't with your baby. When you spend time with your sweet bundle, you have the massive pile of books and future test looming in the back of your mind. 

5) If possible, find someone else in your class who has kids. You are going to to need someone to talk to who can relate to your situation. Other students (without kids or spouses) in your class will complain to you about how they just don't have time for this or that, or can't get time to study and you are going to want to jump across the table and smack them repeatedly saying "YOU don't have time? YOU are tired?!! Do you realize who you are talking to? A sleep deprived, emotionally racked, hasn't even been able to shower in three days, just spent her lunch break pumping breast milk crazy woman!" Usually, as soon as the words come out of their mouths, you can see they know exactly what they just said and they back-pedal with "But it's nothing compared to what you are dealing with"
Anyway, the point of that was to say, only other mothers with kids will understand the stresses you are going through. Your significant other and family won't understand anesthesia school (unless the are an anesthetist themself) and other students won't understand parenting. I have my study-buddy and we vent to each other all the time. It's quite therapeutic really!

6) Your husband MUST be 100% on board with this decision because he is going to be picking up slack. He is going to be dropping of baby with the grandparents or at day care because you are going to be getting up at 4:30 to be in the OR by 6am. He is going to have to watch baby while you hole yourself away with authors like Nagelhout, Miller, and Barrash. He is going to have to listen to you whine complain talk about your crazy day in the OR, hard test, or annoying coordinator. If he isn't supportive of you being in school, I guarantee it's going to fall apart. I've been told story after story of couples getting divorced during anesthesia school. Both of you have to be in on this together!

7) As far as taking time off - that will depend on what your school allows. Mine gave us 30ish days off to use how we wanted within the 27 months. We could work holidays to get extra days off later. Like I said earlier, I went back to class when he was a week old, but I didn't go back to clinicals until he was 5 weeks old. My body would not have tolerated going back any earlier. In all I only used 17 days of my vacation days for a "maternity leave". With the next kid, maternity leave is seriously going to feel like a vacation compared to this!

OK this is long enough. If I think of more I'll make another post. And truly, just contact me if you have any questions. I'd love to be of help.

I will post later about the study material I bought to help me with the SEE exam and to study for boards. I'll post that AFTER I pass, though.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your tips, Carly! I'm a first year SRNA at the University of North Dakota and expecting my first baby in early May. It's encouraging to see that you survived and are now a CRNA. I hope you're enjoying the profession and your son's toddler years. -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. All i can say is a thank you to Dr ologbo for making me and my family a happy home, i have been married for 2 years without a child and i had 4 miscarriage within this time, i saw a post that says contact Dr ologbo for Infertility help, so i did, after he cast a pregnancy spell on me i get pregnant few weeks later after having sex with my partner as instructed by Dr ologbo, and i am 7 months pregnant now without any complications and i will share another post here after my delivering and i will also give out my personal info, watch out for my next post, so i decide to drop this here for any body going through infertility problem to contact Dr ologbo on ologbotemple@gmail.com and you will be happy you did, contact for any problem you are having i believed he will help you out,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I am a first year SRNA student, almost 3 months in! Woo! I also just got married this year in April and so far we both agreed to wait until after school to have kids. But I'm currently 28 and will be 31 when graduating... I know I wouldn't be able to be pregnant during clinical because of the possible exposure and at the same time I don't want to wait until I'm 32... I'm not sure if I'm just crazy for wanting to make things that much harder on us... any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juba, I'm in a similar situation, except I'm now 32 and will be 35 when I graduate. I'm curious what you ended up doing?

      Delete
    2. So I'm pregnant! But now I honestly have some incredible anxiety about how this is all going to play out. I have a supportive family and husband. I haven't told my director yet... and I am due September of this year. Looking at the schedule, that is when we actually learn all the anesthesia material. I'm trying to keep everything positive, and not freak out thinking about it. Stress isn't good for the baby I know. I am a mix of elated and anxious. I also feel like i've already disappointed some people and many will think i'm crazy. But honestly, these are both my dreams. I hope to be able to stick it out like the OP, and will do everything in my power to do so. God willing. There was a part of me that thought I would never be able to be pregnant, and now it is just surreal. I just want to have a healthy baby. Going to take no excuses and saddle up for the worst.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations!!! That is such incredible news! I have no doubt that you can make it work. If it takes you a little longer, so be it. You don't need to sacrifice your dreams to make your director's life a little easier. (I know that's easier said than done; I'm trying to convince myself at the same time I'm trying to convince you!) Is your program a combined CRNA/DNP? Just curious...

      Delete