Sunday, August 14, 2011

Farmers Market

Minneapolis has great farmers markets and residents love them! Maybe it is because we only have a few months to spend outside. Maybe it is due to the push to "eat local". Whatever the reason, the Minneapolis farmers markets are bustling with people!
We have a couple small ones close to our house, but I've been exploring some others in the city. 
Last month, while Gatsby was out of town, ButterBean and I went to the Kingfield Market. This little gem was packed with people! I really enjoyed the variety thy were able to fit in a small space: veggies, herbs, handmade candies, a couple bakeries, cave-aged cheese, and a few food carts offering options like Thai food, gyros, and coffee. And a stage was set up with entertainment for the young shoppers. I haven't made it back there yet, but I plan on it.
ButterBean had fun with our Farmers Market Finds
Lettuce, and kale, and beets! Oh My!
One of the blogs I follow, Bogart Loves, has a stand there selling baked goods. She makes amazing macarons, and if you read my last post, you already know that I love macarons!
The main market down town has rows and rows of local vegetables, flowers, eggs, breads, and meats.  Saturday our little family ventured out in search of sweet corn!
Starting veggies early
We found it! We got a 14 ears (they threw in an extra 2 just in case we got a dud in there) and grilled some with my parents that night, We also got red and gold potatoes and white, orange, and purple carrots! I haven't decided what to do with the carrots yet, but the colors were too fun to pass up. I was also tempted to buy every tomato that we passed, but I'm hoping that the tomato plant in my back yard will give me a few of those. So far I've had lots of tomato flowers, but no actual tomatoes.
He actually does like carrots!

I love going to the market - you'll probably see more of ButterBean surrounded in produce. Hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment