Saturday, June 16, 2012

24 hour lunch

One of my tactics for spending as much time as possible with ButterBean is to clump my clinical hours together so that I have longer chunks of time at home. Therefore, I subject myself to the 24 hour shift. Dum dum dummm! A 24 hour shift in the operating room can either be easy or insanely exhausting (like my last one...skull fracture, ruptured aortic aneurysm, C-sections, thoracoscopy, ectopic pregnancy, femur fracture ... to name a few). Besides the challenge of sleep deprivation with high adrenaline and caffeine overload, comes the challenge of eating healthy. It's high stress, you're tired, feel like you should get an award for your hard work, and the food options are extremely limited if you don't bring your own!
Today I am pre-making a few items for my 24-hour-packed-lunch instead of shoving all sorts of random pieces of food in my bag tomorrow.

Breakfast: Raw Bars - recipe courtesy of one of my beautiful college roommates, who has a passion for healthy living

Lunch: Homemade Hummus with carrots and celery. Maybe some leftover couscous and African kale stew from yesterday

From humble dried garbanzo beans to glorious creamy hummus!


Snacks/Shovel in my mouth between cases:
Apple
Peach
Almonds

Dinner: "Symphony" Salad 
My Dad calls any salad with multiple components a symphony salad. In honor of Fathers Day tomorrow I'll bring a symphony salad. It will look something like this:

and be composed of local/organic spinach, kale, chard, and arugula blend, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, goji berries, and bleu cheese. If I had an avocado it would be going in there too, but I don't. For dressing I just bring olive oil and balsamic vinegar with cracked black pepper. This is one of my all time favorite salads!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That all looks fabulous Carly! Hope your shift went well!!

    ReplyDelete