Sunday, May 27, 2012

Yes, I am "Mom Enough", thank you

A couple of weeks ago I read the article from the controversial Time magazine of the breast feeding mom with the title "Are You Mom Enough?". As soon as I saw the magazine come in the mail I knew I'd be reading that a.s.a.p.

The article is about attachment parenting and one of it's main proponents, Dr. Sears.  I'll admit that my first thoughts about attachment parenting were jealous thoughts: wishing I could stay home with ButterBean and be little Suzy Homemaker. I was happy to find that even without knowing it, I've been using a lot of the attachment parenting methods. Really, I found that it's a lot of common sense.
My Experience With Attachment Parenting
First, I breastfed ButterBean for six months. A lot of things I've read about attachment parenting recommend child-led weaning, but being a busy mom who is sometimes gone for 24 hours straight, it wasn't going to happen...and he was a biter. I can't imagine still breast feeding him now with his 12 chompers. Kudos to those who do!
Second, we have a "family bed". We didn't plan it this way, but we've given up on the crib, and he just sleeps with us all the time. If we do end up putting him in the crib while he is asleep, I miss him and he only lasts an hour or so before he realizes he is alone. Then, I bring him back to our bed and give him an extra snuggle. I've read some of Mayim Bialik's philosophy about co-sleeping and really liked what she had to say about how natural it is to sleep with your child and how scary it can be to be alone as a child. See, I didn't fail at getting him to sleep in a crib, I succeeded at co-sleeping!
Third, I tried to carry him in a sling as a baby, but he wasn't keen on being "worn". He loves being held and cuddled, but not the confinement of a sling or carrier.

I am all for attachment parenting, however I was a bit offended by the title "Are you Mom enough?" Well, let's see here...yes...yes, I am thank you! Although I'd love to stay home with him everyday, it's not going to happen. Despite being gone frequently, we still have a healthy and "attached" relationship! I love every minute I get to spend with him when I'm home. I'd never recommend having a baby while in anesthesia school because it is difficult both with time management and with a mommy guilt complex, however, I'd never change my life and not have ButterBean!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well spoken Carly! Dominic doesn't seem to be lacking any mommy love :) He looks more like you everyday!! Completely adorable! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete