Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Small Town vs. Big City

Visiting me at Serpent Lake 
I'm in a "rural" Minnesotan town. I'm from Minneapolis. 
The differences between people in a city hospital and a rural hospital has struck me as quite funny! 

Example 1: Conversations
Rural Hospital: Nurse 1 -"Hey, what is the best cure for poison ivy?" Nurse 2 - "Brew your own sumac tea and drink it for 10 days before you think you'll be in contact with any poison ivy"
vs
City Hospital: Nurse 1 - "Hey, that smells good, what are you drinking?" Nurse 2 - "Soy pumpkin chai tea latte." 

Example 2: Breakfast
Rural Hospital: eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, muffins, 
vs
City Hospital: everyone brings Greek yogurt with or without fruit and granola...everyone (I secretly eat my peanut butter and honey toast before I get to the hospital so as not to be ridiculed ;) jk)

Example 3: Conversations again
Rural Hospital: Nurse 1 - "My brother and father-in-law are both buying Ice Castles! (enormous fish houses for ice fishing. they apparently have everything you could possible need. I know nothing about ice fishing) I can't wait for winter!" Nurse 2 - "Oh, jealous!"
vs
City Hospital: Nurse 1 - "We just booked our trip to Cancun for this December." Nurse 2 - "That's so great! You have to go to a warmer climate at some point during the winter, or you just go crazy!"

Example 4: Opinions on Commuting
Rural Hospital: 5-10 minute commute...15 tops
vs
City Hospital: 20-30 minute commute...1.5 hours tops

Example 5: Conversations once again
Rural Hospital: "I got my paintball gun calibrated this weekend" (I think he said calibrated...like ice fishing, I know nothing about paintball guns)
vs.
City Hospital: "The show at Guthrie Theatre this weekend was amazing!"

All true examples! 
These three weeks of rural Minnesota have proved I'm more of a city girl, though I don't think it needed to proved. 
Besides missing my adorable bundle of giggling boy, I also miss my grocery store, full of organic goodness...slim pickin's at the grocery store up here!
Turns out sand doesn't taste good...ButterBean now knows this

No comments:

Post a Comment