Monday, February 13, 2012

Prepared? I don't know what that means

I used to think I was a very "prepared" person. Maybe even bordering on obsessive preparation. I'm a planner, a list maker...I like to be prepared. The more I think about it though - am I ever really "prepared"? I've spent so much of my life preparing, but I never feel ready! I prepare dinner, I prepare for tests and presentations, I prepare for birthday parties. (Dinner is almost ready, I did pretty well on my test today, and I've got plenty to do before the birthday party this Sunday!)

I planned for years that I would be a nurse anesthetist but...
I wasn't prepared for how exhausting anesthesia school would be
I wasn't prepared for how humbling anesthesia school would be
I wasn't prepared for how loooong school would feel

I planned my whole life that I would be a mother but...
I wasn't prepared for how exhausting being a mother would be
I wasn't prepared for how humbling being a mother would be
I wasn't prepared for how fast and how much I could love another person


I was talking to my mom today and I said "I still can't believe he [ButterBean] is mine!" I couldn't have prepared for motherhood, no matter how many books I read, classes I took, or how much I nested. Being ButterBean's mom is better than I could have ever planned! I'll never be prepared for him to grow up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment